1.27.2011

When the fog lifts...

This morning I walked out my front door and was brought to tears. I'll admit that is not very hard these days but nonetheless it was a sight of beauty. Every single tree was layered in the thickest hoar frost I have ever seen.


hoar·frost: Frozen dew that forms a white coating on a surface, also called white frost.


All I had with me was my trusty iPod so I snapped the best pictures I could.


And as I drove to work the long way and reveled in the beauty of Gods creation, several thoughts entered my mind.

And who do you think is the father of rain and dew, the mother of ice and frost?
You don't for a minute imagine these marvels of weather just happen, do you? 
Job 38:29-30

The first was, if I lived in Africa I would never wake up to mornings where God chose to hand paint the trees white. Sometimes I struggle finding God in creation here. In Africa He seemed to be everywhere I looked. I saw Him when I looked at my babies, as I walked through the village, every morning at sunrise. But since I've been home I have struggled seeing Him in creation. I know He is there, and that He creates beauty even in the middle of winter, but at the same time it's rare for His creation to take my breath away.

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
Psalm 139:7-12

The second thought was how He transforms. This morning school was cancelled because the fog was so thick it was unsafe to drive.

Fog:
1. Condensed water vapor in cloudlike masses lying close to the ground and limiting visibility.
2. a. An obscuring haze, as of atmospheric dust or smoke.
b. A mist or film clouding a surface, as of a window, lens, or mirror.
3. a. A state of mental vagueness or bewilderment.
b. Something that obscures or conceals; a haze: shrouded their actions in a fog of disinformation.

But when the fog lifted we were left with a breath taking view of His majesty.

It's like that in life sometimes. The fog is so dense we can see our feet or the path we are walking. Sometimes were surrounded by a fog of doubt or depression or loneliness. Sometimes our health seems crushed by a fog of sickness, like we can never be completely well. But when we choose to trust God through the fogs and the trials. When we call out to Him and ask Him to lead us through we can have faith that when the fog lifts....

The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.
Lamentations 2:22-23

Beauty will arise.

For your unfailing love is higher than the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
Psalm 108:4
 He promises if we walk with Him, He will guide our step.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5
Aren't his promises good?

No comments:

Post a Comment