1.25.2011

My best friend is getting married

And I can't express to you how excited I am.

Kari is an amazing joy to everyone around her. She is one of the greatest encouragements in my life and I'm so grateful that God has blessed us with the amazing friendship we have. Kari has been there for me during some of my darkest times, she never left my side and was a shining light of Jesus' love into my life. I'm so proud to be standing next to her as she marries the man of her dreams, just as she did for me six months ago. I'm thrilled for us to continue our friendship into married life. I pray that our relationship will continue to grow, I hope that she continues to be the friend I run to when my job is driving me nuts, and one day when my kids are driving me crazy. I pray one day our children will be best of friends, that I will be able to babysit as she takes care of others in her nursing job. I pray that we will continue to challenge each other in our faith. That we will always have our deep conversations about orphans, poverty, the church... I'm so incredibly thankful for this beautiful woman.

I remember the days of being engaged (I just said that like it was a long time ago but I've only been married 6 months) There is something so joyous about anticipating your big day. Not just the day but the happiness in discovering the person God has intended for you to spend the rest of your life with.

"for this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh." Ephesians 5:31

We live in a society that looks down upon young marriage. People scoff when they hear that I got married at 19. But I know a lot of godly women who have been married for longer than I have been alive and they got married at 19. People say I've thrown my life away because know I'm tied down and have to always think of someone else. When did it become a bad thing to think of others first? They say I won't get to experience life. When did it become a bad thing to experience things with someone else? They say I won't get to travel. I wonder how many of them have lived in Africa? They say I won't get an education. This one is true, but why is it shameful to want to be a mother. And in the meantime my husband is going to school in spite of the fact we are married. Somehow we make it work.

I wonder if these people really see how much they are missing. The joys of sharing your entire life with someone, someone who knows you better than anyone else, and who loves you no matter what happens. Don't get me wrong know marriage is perfect and I knew that long before I even met my husband. Being married requires work and sacrifice. From the moment you say 'I do' every decision you make has to be made with someone else in mind.

God has set the type of marriage everywhere throughout the creation. Every creature seeks its perfection in another. The very heaven and earth picture it to us -Martin Luther

There is nothing more beautiful to me than watching someone commit their life to someone else.

This weekend we threw a shower for the beautiful bride-to-be. We came together to celebrate this amazing fact. That my beautiful friend Kari has discovered the man that God created to be hers.

My prayer for Kari and Riley is echoed beautifully in this C.S. Lewis quote:

When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now.


I pray that you will love each other and you will find joy in sacrificing. I pray for navigation around the change of living with someone else. I pray that your relationship will be blessed. BUT I also pray that God will force your to rely on Him completely. I pray that you will be filled with His never failing Spirit. I pray that you will recklessly abandon the american dream and instead passionately run towards His dream for your life. I pray that He will give you an amazing purpose for the kingdom. I pray that your life will be filled with heavenly blessing not earthly ones.

And may the Master pour on the love so it fills your lives and splashes over on everyone around you, just as it does from us to you. May you be infused with strength and purity, filled with confidence in the presence of God our Father when our Master Jesus arrives with all his followers. 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment