1.04.2011

Top 10 for 2011

I'm going to keep the goals pretty simple this year. A lot of this is a continuation of the last three months since I have started the radical experiment, some of it is simply goals for this year. Part of my goals are saving and giving, use less money on certain things so I can give me, also so that Shaun and I can save more because buying a house brings us one step closer to adoption.

1. Shop only at thrift stores or non-profits. 

I already mostly do this but I’ll just make a declaration for all of 2011. Forcing yourself to search for something you need at a thrift store takes away the impulse buy that I’ve suffered from time and time again. It also makes me use what I have in the closet more often instead of buying a new outfit for every occasion. I have a really hard time finding t-shirts that fit at the thrift store so I will allow myself to buy shirts that support non-profits, my husband gets worried that every shirt I own will have an Africa on it, I assure him I will mix it up with shirts for AIDS awareness, suicide prevention and orphan care.

2. Spend no money on cosmetics.

This is also something I have done for the last 4 months. I don’t really need to wear make-up yet, I know there will come a day where it might be needed but until then I am going to enjoy my skin and be naturally beautiful. I also have stopped going to the hairdresser, and my hair still looks fine. The odd trim from my mom or in front of the mirror can easily get me through with this long hair and it is money that can be used elsewhere. (I buy shampoo and conditioner, though I’ve been looking up homemade recipes and am hoping to be brave enough to try them out sometime soon)

3. No more store-bought

I want to make more things at home. 2011 is starting off good already with homemade bread and a commitment not to buy anymore bread from the store but I want to make more than bread at home. Pasta? It’s possible, I want to try it. I just feel so much better about stuff when it’s made in my kitchen, it goes bad like normal food should and I know exactly what is in it.

4. Support local business

Less trips to the big city of Winnipeg, working harder to find what I need here.

5. Get more involved in Church

My husband and I already have different ways we serve our church but I’d love to get into a small group (step of faith needed) also love to find some women to connect into and build up. Altogether I'm just continuing to give God this year and allowing Him to use me in His plan.

6. Introduce more veggies into our diet.

Married five months now, honeymoon cooking period is over. Hubby is going to have to get used to healthier food. Veggies this year, fruit next year.

7. Find practical ways to serve in the community.

Reach out and find people in need or organizations that I can give my time too.

8. Read more.

I’ll admit I read a lot, but this year I want to focus a lot more of that reading into educating myself, also reading a lot more Christian living books that will challenge my faith. I'm still debating over the Bible in one year. Done it several times before, actually read it in two months in 2010 but It’s never planned so we will see if it happens or not. If I'm reading my Bible daily I will likely make it all the way through.

9. Buy a house

Like I said, buying a house brings us one step closer to being approved for adoption. Therefore it is a pretty good goal for 2011. Shaun will start working in September so sometime after that. Possible we may have to wait for 2012 but might as well through it in for 2011 as something to work towards.

10. Get fit and have fun

I had to throw it in there. 2010 gave me lots of motivation, I got married and clearly I had to look smoking hot for that. So after the wedding it got cold,  and I live in Manitoba and it is mighty hard to get your butt in gear when its -30 outside. Excuse number 2, my husband is home all the time and I'm not one for working out in front of people, I could ban him to the office but I just know he would sneak out and laugh at me. Excuse number 3, our apartment is stinking small, where would I work out the kitchen or the storage room, seem like great options to me. So anyways I'm going to try a bit harder. Once it warms up (this is a goal that only starts in June!) being outside a lot more, possibly breaking out the running shoes (no promises on that)

Overall I just hope that God will use me this year. I pray that He will work in our family and prepare us for whatever He has in store for us. I also pray that I will be a voice of encouragment to those I meet and those who come across my ramblings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment