5.02.2011

The pursuit of happiness

Today while watching TV I stumbled across a program on happiness. Studies on what make people happy.

I found it so interesting that none of the 'happiest' people surveyed were extremely wealthy or had lived perfect lives. They all have pasts, struggles, ups and downs. In fact of our happiness only 10% is based on our external circumstances. 50% is based on our genes. That means that 40% of our happiness is based on us and our attitude. We are in control of our happiness and how we feel.

Also the majority of the happiest people found had faith. They had a deeper belief; they acknowledged that someone else was out there. Having faith increases your happiness. I know that if I did not have my faith or my faith family that would greatly change my outlook on life. I cannot imagine waking up every morning without the joy my faith gives me.

Researchers say that thanking people is a great way to increase your happiness. If we are not appreciative we start taking things for granted. We forget where the good things are coming from. We adapt to our new settings whether they are good or bad and our happiness readjusts to the way it was before, unless we continue to give thanks and remember the positive changes. Jesus taught us by his actions to give thanks, for the good and the bad, to celebrate the body and the blood.

Happy people are more likely to be generous. We are happier if we help others. Giving of our times, energy and finances gives us fulfillment and happiness. Jesus taught to give all we could to those in need.

Another large factor in people's happiness is the ability to forgive. Letting go of our anger and hurt so we can focus on positive things in our life instead of the negative. What's the point in keeping those negative feelings around? Why do you think Jesus preached forgiveness over and over again?

I've always found it so interesting that the most joyful people I know are the ones you would least expect to be happy by the world's standards. I remember feeling in awe when invited to a village church in Uganda. These people had nothing, their church was made of ripped tarps, their children just had one ripped t shirt to their name. They had not eaten breakfast but had instead saved their food to share with me for lunch after. Their empty stomachs suffering so that they could give and bless me. And as I walked away from the meal and the church service I was overcome by their joy and happiness. They had nothing yet they worshiped the Lord like I've never seen before, they willingly shared the little food they had to bless me. How were they so happy?

Simply put, Jesus had saved them so how could they keep from singing?

You never saw him, yet you love him. You still don't see him, yet you trust him—with laughter and singing. Because you kept on believing, you'll get what you're looking forward to: total salvation. 
1 Peter 1:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment