4.22.2011

He gave Himself for me

"This is the kind of life you've been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived. He suffered everything that came his way so you would know that it could be done, and also know how to do it, step-by-step.
   He never did one thing wrong,
   Not once said anything amiss.
They called him every name in the book and he said nothing back. He suffered in silence, content to let God set things right. He used his servant body to carry our sins to the Cross so we could be rid of sin, free to live the right way. His wounds became your healing. You were lost sheep with no idea who you were or where you were going. Now you're named and kept for good by the Shepherd of your souls." 
1 Peter 2:21-25

I am called. You are called, to live a life as he did.

What does that really mean? How do I truly take up my cross daily? When people look upon my face do they see my Saviour?

Truth is I don't look a thing like Jesus. I fail every day. I forget that I am called to take up my cross daily. Instead I lay my cross down and run among my own selfish ways. I forsake the one who gave His everything for my freedom. I choose my own path. I dance with my pride, and laugh with my greed. I chose enjoyment over sacrifice. I'm not the only one living this way. I see it all around me. This world is broken. We choose ourselves over ever other person.

I don't want to sin. I try my hardest to live as He did, the problem is without His grace I am nowhere.

Grace: the freely given, unmerited favour and love of God

I am sitting in the garbage can, surrounded by my ugly heart. I am a sinful being. I put Jesus on a cross, for my selfish life, my dirt and filth, my wretchedness, my brokenness. He hung on a cross for this pathetic life I live. For me. Yet Jesus not once chose Himself. He never thought about His own well being. He willingly gave His life. He gave everything for you and me.

How do I take up my cross and follow Him? How do I accept the sufferings I will face and give thanks?
In the traditional Passover supper the head of the household, before they began their meal would ceremoniously wash his hands to show the family that he was clean. Jesus at His final Passover supper with His disciples did not partake in this tradition. Instead,

Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. 
John 13:3-5
  
Jesus understood that all the power in earth and in heaven had been given to Him, so He lowered Himself and washed the disciples' feet. What a powerful depiction of His love. Around the table stood a disciple who would hand our Saviour over to his killers, another who would deny knowing our King. Yet still, he knelt down and washed their feet.

So that is who I want to be. I want to kneel down before those who betray me, those who mock me, those who hurt me and those I love and wash their feet. I want to turn the other cheek as they beat me, I want to bless those who persecute me. I want to take up my cross and follow Him. I want to cling to His grace when I'm in those hard places because I am nothing without Him. And clinging to His grace, means I must cling to His cross. And I will fall, but the beauty of grace is that He keeps taking me back, time and time again. So when I stumble, I will once again pick up my cross and try to walk a little further behind my Saviour before stumbling again.

The ultimate sacrifice, for this imperfect life. What love!

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,

The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,

My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there

Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything

No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?

I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

No comments:

Post a Comment