3.19.2011

Falling Short

I have these days sometimes.

You know those days where you doubt the goodness of humanity.

Maybe you don't have them but I sure do.

There is evil out there, I know that. But I'm one of those people who likes to think the best of people, innocent until proven guilty. I never like to assume someone is a bad until they have proven it to me.

This gets really hard in my job.

See I work in retail, but also the customer service department. This means that all day I'm lied to, stolen from, and manipulated so that people can get the most money from my store. Most days I turn a blind eye. But some days it hits me harder than others. Some days I get plain sick of it.


The being stolen from drives me up the wall every day, but I don't usually take it personally. Most days I find joy when we catch a shoplifter and teach them a lesson. They are usually people you would expect it from. Not to be judgmental but there is an "expectation" that people like that steal.

Today we caught someone in the act, but it wasn't someone who we would ever "expect" to steal. Funny how that seems to hit you harder, tag that word called "expectation" on there and then the other word called "disappointment" hits even harder than usual.

It puts that feeling in my gut. The one that makes me think all the "good" people I know steal and cheat and lie.

But as I sat here and thought about it don't we all steal and cheat and lie?


"All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God."

As I sat with that feeling of disappointment in my gut I started to think about how God feels every time I lie to him. Or how He feels when I steal someone that He's given to me and claim it mine. I let God down every day when I sin and fall short.

Don't I do this to God every day?

Don't we all do this to God every day?

Father forgive us.

Now I'm left glad there is hope for humanity, because that means there is hope for me.

Thank you Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment