12.16.2010

Uganda

In January of 2010, I left my amazing boyfriend (now husband), my friends, family and my job to travel to the unknown of Uganda.

This was the best decision I ever made.

A lady from my church asked me the other day if I went to Africa so that my now husband would get his butt in gear and ask me to marry him. She figured if I left for a bit that would convince him he wanted to keep me around. I chuckled and told her that was not the case at all. In fact if I had not gone to Africa I would have been married long before August 1st, 2010.

Shortly after my husband and I had been dating for five months he went on a church retreat, during my time without him I spent a lot of time with the Lord seeking out him plan for our life, I guess my hubby was doing the same thing. He got home and told me he knew God wanted us to get married and asked me if there was anything I wanted to do before we settled down (seeing as I was so young and all!) I told him I felt God calling me to Uganda and that I wanted to travel there for a few months before we got married. Doesn’t God have funny timing! So off we went on the journey of waiting to get married and waiting for me to leave for Africa. We decided we wouldn’t get engaged until after I got home because I didn’t want to stress about wedding plans during my time with my babies. This also meant we had a pretty short engagement once I was home. As everyone can know see, I was not pregnant though I was asked several times if that was our reasoning. We both knew that my leaving would only strengthen our relationship

I spent two amazing months at Amani Baby Cottage. I was forever changes by the children and the women I worked with. I will forever have a part of my heart at Amani. Every day I would wake up and work with the most beautiful children I have ever seen. I was constantly surrounded by infants (that’s my comfort zone). I spent my days just loving kids and there is nothing more fulfilling for a woman who has a mother’s heart than being surrounded by children she can love. These babies have given me such a deep passion for the orphan. I want to live my days honoring my Saviour by loving orphans in every way that is possible to me. I can hardly wait to see how God uses this passion because I know he planted it there for such a specific reason!

This post is the prequel.

Coming up next is the story of my precious baby boy Trevor. And how God used him to completly change me from the inside out.

No comments:

Post a Comment