12.04.2010

Christmas Shopping - Choosing to make a difference this advent

How many of you are already done your Christmas shopping? I have been done since mid-November, I have also managed not to buy one thing in a mall. Online shopping is the way I go about it. Actually I think I've been completely converted I can buy everything I need online, not even just for Christmas. Clothes, shoes, purses, jewelery, books, hats.... The list goes on and on.

I have many reasons why I choose to shop online instead of in malls and retails stores. Malls this time of year kinda of make me sick. I don't really know what other word to use. They are packed full of every kind of person, racking up their credit card bill to buy other people useless things they don't need and likely don't even want. And all this in the name Christmas, celebrating our Saviours birth. How is He glorified in all this? I truly believe that North American Christians have completely lost track of what Christmas is about. What happened to spending the month of advent focusing on the Lord. Spending time enjoying your friends and family.

I read a beautiful blog of a family that has not given Christmas gifts in ten years. Ten years ago their five year old son asked mom what they got Jesus for Christmas? He couldn't wrap his mind around why they got presents for Jesus' birthday. He didn't get presents for his sisters birthday. After a bit of a conversation his mom asked him if he would be willing to give up his Christmas presents for Jesus this year. Of course he replied (oh the things we can learn from the willigness of children). Since then this family has given away the money they would have spent on Christmas. They choose gifts through World Vision & Compassion that help those that truly have nothing. Why do we as North American feel as though we need presents to make Christmas feel full and completely. We truly just need our Savior. We just need to focus on Him and how He humbly came to earth as an infant to save us. So choose this year to give a gift in the name of your friend and family. Some great resources for that are:
Samaritan's Purse

So maybe you aren't ready to give all your Christmas spending money away quite yet. Then pray about where and how much God wants you to spend this year. For some reasons we as North Americans seem to believe that since God has blessed us with wealth (yes we are all wealthy by worldly standards) it is ours to spend as we want. This is not the case. We must still let the Father use that money as He wants.

Maybe you still have gatherings so you need to buy gifts. Or you still want to get your kids or spouse something. Let me introduce you to gifts that the twice. Okay I know it sounds cheesy BUT there are many amazing not for profit organizations that enable people in poverty to make amazing products and sell them for a fair price in North America. This is where I did
all my Christmas shopping this year and how I buy clothes year round as I need them. Some great resources for that are:
Tukula 
Krochet Kids


Christmas is about giving, but let's give to those in true need this Christmas! And let's choose to focus on our Saviour and His birth above all else.

Merry Christmas
Alisa

No comments:

Post a Comment