4.18.2011

My Democratic Right

There is nothing that annoys me more than Canadian politics.

Every time an election rolls around I'm threatened not to vote at all. In fact, there is no point. I live in a riding that is all locked up. Conservative it is, not that I might not vote that way anyways, but it is still frustrating to know that whichever way I vote it will not make a difference.

Elections are the same every time. The last two minority government have been able to do very little, our system is made for a majority government otherwise not much seems to happen. We all smear the current government and the other parties. Yes, the conservatives are guilty of smear campaigns but the "anti-conservatives" (we'll call them) smear the current government just as much.

For me my decision on who to vote for is often who has done the least things I don't like. That is sad, but truly our government system is so flawed at times. Both sides have their fair share of issues, so which one has less?

I hate arguments about whose side is better. I've made my decisions and they are informed even if they are different that yours. Just because I choose to vote for someone different than you does not make me ignorant, or stupid. And no, I'm not just choosing who to vote for based on my Christianity. Does that come into play when I choose who to vote for? Why would it not, it is the basis of how I live my life. But guess what, so does your worldview. You might not acknowledge it as your religion but every ones worldview greatly influences who they vote for. We all have different priorities and different belief. Why do we have to argue and belittle the other side?

Last night my husband kindly reminded me of this thing called democracy that I take for granted.

People my age all of the world have to fight for this right. Some of them sacrifice their lives so that future generations may be able to vote. We've seen this uprising happening in Egypt and Libya. Many of their governments are powered by awful dictators, people who do things that never even compare to the "scandals" of our government.

Would I be willing to give my life to vote?

So in two weeks I will head to the polls. I don't know who I will vote for yet. But I will go thanking the Father for the gift of this country I live in. A country where I'm allowed to freely go to church, where I can share my faith in the workplace, where I have access to jobs, and clean water, and housing. And I will go prayerfully asking for freedom for those under awful governments and also prayerfully asking the Fathers will to be done in this election. I will also go prayerfully anticipating His Perfect Government that will reign eternally!

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.
Isaiah 9:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment